Machu Picchu history started in 1911 when Hiram Bingham led a small expedition to Peru in search of the ‘lost city’ of Vilcabamba. This took Bingham and his party of seven people to Cuzco, from there by mule and on foot to a small settlement, called Mandor Pampa, near Aguas Calientes, where they encountered a local farmer named Melchor Arteaga. Arteaga told him that there were extensive ruins high in the mountains nearby at what Arteaga in his native Quechua called Machu Picchu, meaning ‘Old Mountain’.
Bingham and his party climbed up to Machu Picchu the next morning. They continued along one of the terraces and found the finest quality of Inca stonework, which were carefully cut and exquisitely fitted. Bingham was sure he had discovered Vilcabamba. He believed that until the end of his life, mistakenly as it turned out.
Machu Picchu is now believed to have been the mountain retreat of the great Inca emperor Pachacutec (‘He who shakes the Earth’), abandoned at some point after his death in 1472.
Day 01: Cusco – Machu Picchu – Cusco
We will pick you up from your hotel / hostel in Cusco in our mini tourist van approx. at 3:00 a.m. to take you to the town of Ollantaytambo, since the train leaves at 05:05 a.m. or 07:05 a.m., and from there we will take a train from the company “INCA-RAIL or PERÚ-RAIL”. (Previously, one day before at the office, we will give you all information about tour and all the corresponding tickets).
Then, the train will take you to the town of Aguas Calientes (2000 m.a.s.l.) in approximately 01 hour and 40 minutes approx. where our guide will be waiting for you at the exit of the train station with a sign with your full names, then you will have free time to buy from the local market fruits, drinks and even have a local breakfast.
Then, we take the bus to go up to Machu Picchu in about 30 minutes, once in Machu Picchu, our guided tour will last about two hours, where you will visit the most important places in Machu Picchu, such as the Main Plaza, the Circular Tower, the Sacred Solar Clock, the Royal Rooms, the Temple of the Three Windows, the Agricultural Sector, the Urban Sector, etc. After the guided tour we will take the bus back to Aguas Calientes.
In the afternoon, we board the train from Aguas Calientes to Ollantaytambo (Departing between 15:20 / 17:23 pm or 18:30 p.m. depending on availability) After arriving at the train station in Ollantaytambo, we will be waiting for you at the departure to take you back to Cusco and finally we drop you off near the main square.
- Pick up from the airport to the hotel/hostal
- Transfer hotel / train station / hotel
- Round trip train tickets (Expedition or Voyager Service)
- Round trip Bus tickets to Machu Picchu
- Entrance ticket to Machu Picchu.
- Professional English Guide
- Private English guide for Machu Picchu ($ 99.00 USD )
- Private French guide for Machu Picchu ($ 119.00 USD )
- Private German guide for Machu Picchu ($ 139.00 USD)…And so you will enjoy much more of Machu Picchu, walk at your own pace, interact more with the guide … etc
- Wayna picchu or Machu Picchu mountain ($20.00 USD)
- Extra drinks
- Take your original passport with you.
- Wear lightweight shoes.
- Rain clothes in the rainy season.
- Long-sleeved shirts.
- Long pants.
- Insect repellent.
- Sunblock and hat.
- Sunglasses, plastic bags.
- A light individual backpack.
- Toilet paper.
Offer price 01 person!! $ 309.00 USD
The student will get a discount of $ 20.00 USD only for Machu Picchu ticket:
It must have the next requirements: The original student ID gives from the university in PVC material, university information, personal student information, student picture, and expiration date valid only for one year, it year must coincide with the year that student visit Machu Picchu, the discount until 25 years old.
Private Service Prices:
- 01 person!! $ 509.00 USD (Per person)
- 02 persons!! $ 399.00 USD (Per person)
- 03 persons to more!! $ 349.00 USD (Per person)
Private Service Included:
- Pick up from the airport to the hotel/hostal.
- Pick up in our private Van from your hotel in Cusco-Ollantaytambo-Cusco.
- Train tickets round trip (Voyager or Expedition train service)
- Bus tickets up and down to Machu Picchu.
- Entrance ticket to Machu Picchu.
- Professional Private Guide in Machu Picchu.
- Lunch at Machu Picchu (Indio Feliz Restaurant Bistro)
Private Service Not Included:
- Wayna Picchu or Machu Picchu mountain ($20.00 USD)